Thursday, January 6, 2011

Almond Milk: My first batch

Wow! I made my first batch of almond milk. I thought it would be a long, arduous process, but it only took about 10 minutes (minus nut soaking time of 8 hours).

After blending this, it was frothy white and looked like milk. I dropped in a few ice cubes and enjoyed this delicious nut milk. Amazingly, I did not experience the effects of bloating and gas (side effects of drinking cow's milk).


Recipe:
1/2 cup of soaked almonds (skins removed)
2 cups filtered water
3 Medjool dates
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon almond butter (optional for creamier texture)

Chocolate Milk
1 tablespoon carob or cacao powder
1 tablespoon agave nectar
Instructions:
1. Blend for about 30 seconds or until all the nuts are processed.
2. Strain/squeeze the milk through a cheese cloth over a bowl.
3. Pour over ice and enjoy.
4. To store, pour in a jar and keep refrigerated.

No comments: